The Wethersfield Early Childhood Collaborative, or WECC, is a coalition of parents, educators, care providers and other concerned individuals whose shared goal is to prepare children for success in school and life. WECC realizes this goal by facilitating access to, raising awareness and improving the quality of early care and education. WECC's results statement is "All Wethersfield children, birth to 8, are healthy, developmentally successful learners, and connected to the community."
In June 2012, WECC completed a two-year process that resulted in the Wethersfield Community Plan for Young Children & Families. The Plan was framed around how to best achieve WECC's Results Statement. The extensive research and collaborative planning process led WECC to devise a comprehensive array of strategies which include:
- Developing a better understanding of why some of Wethersfield’s women are not receiving adequate prenatal care.
- Promoting healthy eating and physical activity for Wethersfield children and families.
- Designing a parent education and support system promoting literacy development for children birth to age five and their families, regardless of income.
- Partnering with parents, schools and town programs to improve children's reading abilities from preschool through 3rd grade.
- Engaging children in expanding time spent reading, both in and out of school.
- Providing opportunities for shared professional development inclusive of early care providers and educators, early elementary teachers and other school professionals.
- Reducing barriers that prevent residents from being as involved or as connected with the Wethersfield community as they would like to be.
WECC is organized into three teams - Health, Developmentally Successful Learners, and Connected To The Community - which are driving the implementation of the Plan's strategies. A Steering Committee, comprised of the team leaders, WECC co-chairs, and key partners including the Wethersfield Public Schools, Town of Wethersfield, and Tri-Town YMCA, oversees these efforts.
WECC is open to Wethersfield residents and those who work with or advocate on behalf of our children. There are both short-term and long-term opportunities to participate in WECC, and everyone's contributions are valued.
860-997-1855 | firstname.lastname@example.org